24 May 2008

Xenophobia

Greetings from South Africa! Yes, I am traveling around South Africa (Cape Town specifically at the moment) with a group of 20 students from LA. Its certainly an interesting time to be in South Africa, particularly in the role of "responsible adult". Its an interesting group as well - primarily first generation US citizens, mainly of Mexican and Central American descent. The xenophobic attacks certainly hit close to home for them. I was intending to post a long post when I got back, but I'm processing a lot right now and needed to think out loud, so I ducked into an internet cafe. I only have a few minutes left though, so I'll keep it short.

This group is amazing! From people who grew up in South-Central, to people who grew up in Beverly Hills, to people with parents who were Contras, to people whose parents were filthy rich and immigrated to the United States when they needed major surgery and just decided to stick around.

Four students chose not to go along with the regular itinerary yesterday because they wanted to go shark diving for US$300. Although they could have gotten a ride back from us, they opted instead for a taxi which charged them at least $60. The taxi driver made them think armageddon was coming and that they were sitting ducks in our little hostel. As they were already frustrated by the lack of a private bathroom and the bunk beds, one elected to take a taxi and book herself into the Sheraton. Oh, my. So much for the lessons about privilege. Many of the other students were laughing at them, thinking they are ridiculous and that the accommodations are fine, and that clearly the attacks are only in the townships (where we are not staying, but did visit, but saw nothing out of the ordinary.) However, another group of us went to a nice peaceful demonstration encouraging the government to take more action. It was very beautiful and inspiring.

Today however, we saw a large group of people, mostly men hanging out on a corner. They were foreigners seeking refuge near a police station. We stopped and talked to them for a bit and they explained how the police were doing nothing for them and they were afraid for their lives and trying to find transportation back to their countries. "Back to Zimbabwe?" I couldn't help but think. Oh, dear. It was a really sad situation. One asked me to please do whatever I can for them, contacting the media or whatever I can to notify people of their situation. I promised him I would. So here I am. The closest thing I have to the media. The police simply is not doing enough to stop the violence and people are sleeping on the streets and have nothing. I couldn't help but think how many times these people had probably been refugees in their lives. First to come to South Africa, now to leave South Africa.

Anyway, my time is up, I haven't proofread, but I just wanted to process out some quick thoughts. Certainly more to come later.

HUGS HUGS and BIGGER HUGS